It's a new year and if you haven't already compiled a list of resolutions this is the time to do it! Among those new habits you will try to establish should be the goal of healthy eating. And, there is no better way to eat healthy than to control what you eat. So, this year make an effort to eat fresh ingredients at home and at the same time gather your family at the dinner table. You'll be glad you did.
Here's a good recipe to get you started. Quick and easy to prepare. Lots of protein and vegetables. And, tt's also easy to to decrease the fat content by using non-fat chicken broth and omitting the cheese and avacado.
For more recipes like this and a complete weekly menu, visit www.nomoretogo.com
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Servings: 6-8 Time: 40 mins
1 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
1 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 cup corn kernels, cooked
1 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chili peppers
1 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 rotisserie chicken, torn into bite-sized pieces
crushed tortilla chips
shredded monterey jack cheese
1. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft.
3. Stir in taco seasoning, tomatoes (with juices), and broth.
4. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Stir in corn, chiles, beans, and chicken.
6. Simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices and cheese.
Enjoy! Visit No More 'To Go' for weekly menu plans. www.nomoretogo/join