News
 
Gravatar
8
3
Pin on Pinterest

St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, 3204 Skillman Street, is celebrating its 75th anniversary. 

 

Although much has changed in the Lakewood and M-Street neighborhoods since the church was established, what hasn’t changed is the Christian tradition of gathering for worship and fellowship.

 

To mark the anniversary, St. Andrews will host an outdoor worship service followed by a “block party” on Sunday, September 22.  The worship service, held in the church courtyard, will begin at 10:45 a.m. and the block party will start at 12 noon.

 

Live music, Dallas’ gourmet Food Trucks, a bounce house and dunking booth are some of the attractions to make this party fun for everyone and, all are invited. 

 

In 1938, the merger of Riggs Memorial and Abbey Presbyterian churches, founded St. Andrews Presbyterian Church.  It stood on the corner of Greenville Avenue and McCommas Boulevard (now Unity Church). The location was considered then to be in North Dallas, and it was named North Dallas Presbyterian.  The name was changed to St. Andrew’s in 1947, and the church moved to its current location at Skillman Street and Monticello Avenue in 1949. 

 

Today, as always, St. Andrews is a vital part of the community. The church sponsors Boy Scout Troop 42 and Cub Scout Pack 325, English Language Ministry (ELM), Spring of Harmony Concert Series, and an annual neighborhood ice cream social. It participates in Friends of Tietze Park, Wilkinson Center, a community Thanksgiving dinner and National Night Out Against Crime. It serves as a voting place, and houses Kid Kountry Early Childhood Learning Center and a branch of Presbyterian Children’s Home and Services.

 

Recognize 1596 Views
Related Posts