The family-friendly Long Run starts and finishes at the front lawn of J.L. Long Middle School in historic East Dallas. After the races, runners, student groups, and community members meet for food, refreshments, and entertainment.
The 2018 event will take place Thursday, October 18th (Fair Day is the 19th and all DISD students will have the day off) with festivities beginning at 5:30 pm. The 1-mile fun run/walk, beginning at 6:00 pm, is oriented to kids, families and those “not so serious” runners. It will encircle the J.L. Long Middle School and Woodrow Wilson High School campuses. The 5K Long Run, beginning at 6:30 pm, offers runners a winding and challenging course that starts in front of J.L. Long Middle School. The course takes runners through historic, tree-lined streets of the Hollywood Heights neighborhood and Santa Fe Trail offering runners some wonderful views of historic homes in picturesque old East Dallas. The race finishes at the school and after race activities will be in the front lawn of school located at 6116 Reiger Ave Dallas, TX 75214
Each entrant will receive a race T-shirt and dinner (choice of Burger House or Raising Canes). In addition, awards will be given for the fastest runners in the various age categories.
Early registration, through Sunday, October 7, 2018, is just $25 per person.
ABOUT THE CAUSE
The 22nd Annual Long Run is the only fundraiser sponsored by the J.L. Long Middle School PTA. Proceeds are targeted to bridge critical gaps in the J.L. Long Middle School budget, including:
- Fees associated with the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program
- Leadership Cadet Corps uniforms
- Instruments for band and orchestra
- Equipment for science labs
- Supplemental books and educational materials
- Entry fees and transportation for Long’s Math & Science Team
- Entry fees and transportation for athletic and music competitions
- Transportation for student field trips to promote a college-bound culture