Save enough pennies and you have a dime. Save enough dimes and you have a dollar. Save enough dollars and, well, get what you have always wanted. It may take some time for the big ticket items, but if you work hard and start saving early, you could achieve your goal. Staying healthy can work the same way. By doing the little things, you could live a longer, healthier life.
Here are a few tips so you can reap the rewards of avoiding chronic illnesses and premature death.
- Start moving. Regular exercise can help prevent and control both high blood pressure and diabetes, and maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
- Eat right. Take extra helpings of fruits, vegetables and whole grains while passing on the deep-fried fast foods, bakery products, and packaged snack items.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking is associated with heart disease, cancer and lung disease.
- Drink responsibly. Moderate drinking of no more than two drinks per day for men or one for women is OK, but don’t overdo it.
- Stay safe. Wear the proper protective gear when participating in sports and fasten your seat belt when riding in or driving a car.
- Learn about your family’s health history. Certain health conditions can be passed on from one generation to the next.
- Get regular checkups. Some diseases and conditions do not cause symptoms, so it is important to get screened before signs appear.
- Check your numbers. Monitoring blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure and body mass index can help catch underlying health problems early.
By making smart lifestyle choices every day, you can fill up your piggy bank and stay healthy well into your golden years. For more information about living healthy, visit the free, online health library on the Doctors Hospital at White Rock Lake website at DoctorsHospitalDallas.com/HealthySecrets.
Photo credit: Hemera/Thinkstock
Doctors Hospital at White Rock Lake
9400 Poppy Drive
Dallas, TX 75218