Fireworks are fun to watch, exciting to hear, and a wonderful way to mark a special occasion. Most people have fond memories of watching a dizzying display of starburst fireworks light up the night sky. Others, unfortunately, may recall a trip to the hospital emergency room because of a fireworks-related injury.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, an estimated 11,400 people were treated for injuries caused by fireworks in 2013. Most injuries are to the hand or finger.
The safest way to watch fireworks is at a professional show, not by setting off fireworks at home. When viewing a fireworks display, respect the safety barriers and select a safe viewing distance of at least 500 feet away. If you know someone who is planning a fireworks show of their own, you may want to share these safety tips:
- Make sure fireworks are legal in your area.
- Children should not be allowed to play with fireworks.
- Watch children closely when setting off fireworks.
- Keep an extinguisher, hose, or bucket of water nearby.
- Do not light fireworks inside or near dry vegetation.
- Do not pick up a firework that has not gone off. Do not try to relight it. Douse it with water and dispose of it.
- Read the directions on fireworks before setting them off.
- Stand several feet away from lit fireworks.
- Do not light more than one firework at a time.
- Do not wear loose-fitting clothing when lighting fireworks.
Online Check-in: The Smarter Way to the ER
At Doctors Hospital at White Rock Lake, we understand that waiting in the ER is no fun. That’s why we’re offering an online check-in service at DoctorsHospitalDallas.com/SkiptheERWaitingRoomto reserve your time online and comfortably wait at home. Users enjoy the convenience of choosing where they wait and a projected time to see a health care professional in the ER. Patients can hold their place online by completing an online form and arriving at the hospital at the selected time. Simply go to DoctorsHospitalDallas.com/SkiptheERWaitingRoom — it's quick, easy and you'll be seen by a health care professional within 15 minutes of your scheduled time*.
The hospital’s InQuickER system screens patients whose symptoms may signal a potentially serious condition to make sure they don’t wait to go to the hospital. To learn more about these quality emergency services serving the East Dallas area, visit DoctorsHospitalDallas.com/ER.
* Some restrictions apply.
Photo credit: Photodisc/Thinkstock
Doctors Hospital at White Rock Lake
9400 Poppy Drive
Dallas, TX 75218