Going to the gym should be something you enjoy doing. It’s a time to relax, work away the stresses of the day, and improve your health. With the weather this time of year alternating between cold and wet, and wet and cold, the gym also is the perfect place to go to help maintain your New Year’s resolution to exercise.
“Going to the gym is a great way to get or stay in shape,” says Terry Gemas, M.D., orthopaedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine on the medical staff at Doctors Hospital at White Rock Lake. “But you don’t want to get hurt or burned out. Mistakes could cause injuries that may sideline you indefinitely.”
Dr. Gemas offers the following tips to help avoid mistakes at the gym and make the time you spend there more productive with better results.
- Don’t skip a workout just because you don’t have an hour to exercise. Any amount of physical activity is good, even a brisk 10-minute walk.
- Train all the major muscle groups and include cardiovascular activities, strength training, and flexibility exercises in your routine.
- Be sure to use the proper form and wear the right kind of shoes for your chosen workout.
- Vary your routine to avoid boredom, repetitive stress injuries, or burnout.
- Remember to warm up and warm down during your workout.
- Set realistic goals that are specific and appropriate so you can gradually improve your fitness level.
To help reduce the risk of injury that can happen to anyone, Dr. Gemas advises athletes of all levels not to exercise when tired or in pain, eat a healthy diet, maintain a healthy weight, and practice safety measures to prevent falls. For more information about common sprains and strains, take the free, online Sprains and Strains Quiz at www.DoctorsHospitalDallas.com/SprainsandStrains.
Doctors Hospital at White Rock Lake
Dallas, TX 75218