Dallas—Continuing a storied career that has spanned four decades, Bishop Lynch Women’s Basketball Coach Andy Zihlman (BL Class of 1972) passed another milestone, winning his 900th game in front of a packed crowd on Friday night. Zihlman’s Lady Friars defeated the Bishop Dunne Lady Falcons 44-32 to mark the historic occasion and make Zihlman the 8th winningest coach in the history of the state.
Zihlman’s total of 900 now also moves him one level higher on the national record list, up to 17th all-time. Among his impressive accomplishments is Bishop Lynch’s national record for consecutive state championships, won from 1988-2000. Overall, Zihlman has won 24 TCIL or TAPPS State Championships over the course of his career as a Friar.
Other Notable Zihlman Accomplishments:
- 2014 East Dallas Exchange Educator of the Year
- 2013 BLHS Alumni of the Year
- 2011 Inductee, Texas Private Schools Hall of Honor
- 2009 Dallas Morning News Coach of the Year
- Women’s Basketball Coaches Association National Coach of the Year
- 2005 Texas Association Basketball Coaches (TABC) Private School Coach of the Year
- 1991-93, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008 Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools (TAPPS) Coach of the Year
- 1991, Inductee, BLHS Sports Honor Roll
Additional release to follow …